2022 Caltrans Virtual Contractor’s Bootcamp
Caltrans Districts 1, 2, and 3 invite you to attend the Caltrans NR Virtual Contractor’s Boot Camp. This outreach will consist of a series of daily trainings and presentations allowing Department staff and contractor representatives to share information on the requirements to work on Caltrans projects, finding contracting opportunities, Labor Compliance and DBE Compliance, and how to prepare a successful bid.
Day 1: 1/11/2022
- 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
- Morning Session: Opening Remarks & Contracting Tips Q&A Panel
- This session will begin with featured speaker introduction from D1, D2, & D3, followed by a Contracting Tips Question and Answer Panel presented by Caltrans Professionals, Primes and DBE Firm Representatives.
- 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Afternoon Session: Introduction to Public Works Contracting Presentation
- In this session, NorCal PTAC Staff will present a general overview of the requirements for subcontractors looking to work on Caltrans projects, including bonding, insurance requirements and prevailing wage requirements.
Day 2: 1/12/2022
- 10:00 AM - 11:00 PM
- Morning Session: Find Caltrans Contracting & Bid Opportunities Presentation
- In this session, we will again be joined by NorCal PTAC Staff to learn how to navigate through working with Caltrans information websites to find contracting opportunities, vendor registration and the bidding process, find contracts on Cal eProcure, view past purchases and current bids, and other resources for DBE's and Small Businesses.
- 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Afternoon Session: Caltrans Labor Compliance Presentation
- In this session, Caltrans staff will discuss prevailing wage requirements for construction contracts, labor compliance laws and regulations, codes and statutes, wage determination & classifications and payroll requirements.
- 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Afternoon Session 2: Caltrans DBE Compliance Before and During Construction Presentation
- In this session, Caltrans staff will present tips on finding a certified Disadvantage Business Enterprise (DBE) firm, networking, outreach, common pit falls, and tips. Contractors will gain an understanding of DBE Commitment, dealing with DBE subcontractors, communication and proper documentation.
Day 3: 1/13/2022
- 10:00 - 11:30
- Morning Session: Estimating & Bidding the Basics Presentation and You have a Contract, Now What? Q&A Panel
- In this session, NorCal PTAC staff will drill down in detail on how to prepare successful bids. The instructor will cover the basics of preparing an estimate in a format generally used as an industry standard. The use of Excel spreadsheets is key to this exercise. The Bid Format Preparing the Spreadsheet Cost of General Conditions (Jobsite OH & Supervision) Subcontractor & Vendor Outreach for Pricing Quantity Take-offs Pricing of Labor Pricing of Materials & Equipment Factoring in the Schedule Immediately following the presentations there will be a Q&A panel where participants can ask questions about PTAC supportive services, understanding contract requirements, plans, specifications and estimate (PS&E) final acceptance.